The new Industrial Property Law (IP Law) has been published today in the Official Gazette. The number of the law is 6769. From today on, the new law will be enforced in all cases. According to this new law, there are many new changes in the IP practice. We will inform you about these new regulations soon with other posts. Our office also designed a new webpage about this law. You may reach it from this link. Unfortunately it is yet only in Turkish. But we will soon update it with its English version.
With the new Industrial Property Law, which was accepted by Grand National Assembly, there will be significant changes in IP practice in Turkey. Some of the new provisions are as below:
- The name of the Turkish Patent Institute will be Turkish Patent and Trademark Instutition (Shortly TPO).
- Letter of consent is regulated in the new legislation. Therefore TPO will accept such letters. This was a big problem for clients in the past.
- Another big change will be post grant oppositions for patents.
- Trademarks will be open for opposition for 2 months instead 3 months.
- Novelty of design will be checked by TPO during application.
These are some of the new changes. All these changes should be also assessed in detail in further posts.